This hearty recipe replaces the traditional meat filling with sliced aubergine, creating a lower fat & vegetarian, healthier twist on the classic dish.
We used Le Veneziane Gluten Free Lasagne sheets. They keep a lovely al dente texture and do not require precooking which saves a lot of time and mess!
Top tip: gluten free cooking is much easier if you make a batch of gluten-free breadcrumbs and freeze them in air tight bags. We wait until we have a loaf about to go off, or that had some crumbled slices in it– that way we save on food waste too.
1 pack Le Veneziane Gluten Free Lasagne Sheets
3 large aubergines (sliced thinly lengthways)
2-3 tbsp garlic infused olive oil
1 large jar of passata
1 tbsp tomato puree
1 teaspoon dried Italian herb mix
1 tsp sugar
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
Small bunch of fresh basil
125g vegetarian hard Italian cheese
1 ball reduced fat mozzarella
2 handfuls of breadcrumbs
1. Lightly fry the aubergine strips in garlic oil using a non-stick frying pan until golden brown.
2. Heat the passata in a pan with the tomato puree, Italian herbs, sugar and red wine vinegar for 10minutes, then add the torn basil at the end.
3. Add a thin layer of the passata mixture to the bottom of a lasagne dish; add a layer of aubergine, sprinkle with parmesan and torn mozzarella then top with the lasagne. Repeat another 2 times.
4. On the final layer of lasagne add passata, parmesan, mozzarella and the breadcrumbs.
5. Cook at 200oC for 25-30minutes until it bubbles at the sides and is golden on top.
6. Serve with a balsamic dressed green side salad.
You can buy Le Veneziane online from Ocado, Holland & Barratt and Amazon.
Please share your feedback and thoughts with us on gluten-free cooking and Le Veneziane via twitter @ LavidaFood or our facebook page